The pause on federal student loan interest and payments began in March 2020 at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. As part of federal legislation passed in June, the pause ended on September 1, 2023. Federal student loan payments will resume in October, 2023.
The moratorium on payments and interest included all federally held student loans, regardless of what company is servicing the loan. Eligible student loans included:
- Direct federal student loans.
- Federal Family Education Loan program loans held by the Department of Education, aka FFEL.
- Federal Perkins Loans held by the Department of Education.
- Defaulted FFEL loans not held by the Department of Education.
- Defaulted Health Education Assistance loans, aka HEAL.
If you have any of the loans shown above and took advantage of the pause, you will need to resume your payments beginning in October. If you are unsure of what type of loan you have, check your statement or contact your lender for details.
Quick Tip: As your loan payments resume, take a few minutes to review your loan terms and interest rate. By consolidating or refinancing your loans, you might be able to lower your monthly payments, reduce your interest rate, and extend the payment period on your loans.*
NGFCU Can Help
NGFCU has partnered with LendKey to provide Student Loan Refinancing for our members.
* Terms and conditions apply. Loan products, terms, and benefits displayed on this website may be modified or discontinued at any time without notice. Your initial rate will be determined after a review of your application and credit profile. You must be either a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident in an eligible state, must have graduated from an eligible school, and meet Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union's credit and income requirements to qualify for a loan. Additionally, in order to receive a loan from Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union, you must be a member of Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union. If you are not a member of Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union, you may apply and become a member during the loan application process. Applying with a creditworthy cosigner may result in a better chance of loan approval and/or lower interest rate.